12 December 2007

Hump-Day Hot Topics

I really just made that title line up and I'm really not proud of it, so let's not get to thinking that I'm all out of quality creative ideas... actually, the point of this entry is that I don't really feel like coming up with anything on my own so I'm relying on other stories to stoke the fire. Also, I'm trying to stay away from anything about the Steelers because I'm still reeling from Sunday afternoon. So, here's the stories that Willis was talkin' about and they're all linktified for easy clarification.

-First off, being the trivia enthusiast that I am, I must extend my thoughts and prayers to Alex Trebek, who suffered a mild heart attack on Monday. I'm not sure if the ever-drole Trebek likes football, but if he does, he's got to be a Steeler fan... They're the Thinking Man's team (like a box of chocolate). I do have to question dittoheston's Trebek photo choice though... seems a bit out of character... at least out of character for Trebek.

-While I was on CNN.com to get the link for the article about Trebek's heart attack, I saw a headline that Ike Turner (you know, the guy who beat Tina?) died. How does that make you all feel?

-The Penguins and Flyers played last night and the Pens got their asses handed to them by the dirtiest franchise in hockey. Best stat line - 81 penalty minutes for the Penguins in the 3rd period... eighty-one!!! The Flyers had 45. Looks like the skate's on the other foot now. That's 126 penalty minutes in a 20 minute period, in case you were getting out your calculator.

-Although I think its intention is to draw yet more attention to their phenomenal season, this little blurb on Then Onion's sports page really seems to capture the essence of what I perceive to be the incredible smugness and overwhelming sense of superiority displayed by the New England Yankees... sorry, Patriots... this year. I think it's possible to be the best while still showing complete respect for you opponents, and I'm not sure they're doing that. Sure, I'm bitter, and I realize I mentioned earlier that I didn't want to discuss the Steelers/Yankees... God, sorry, Patriots... game, but I just got all hot and bothered for some reason. I need something else to talk about...

-If you need verification for any of this, visit any reputable news website because there are too many links about it for me to try and include here. The credit crisis has become such a concern to investors that everyone and their toy poodle was hoping the Federal Reserve would lower interest rates by half of a percentage point on Tuesday. The joke's on everybody though, because the Fed went with their standard quarter of a point rate reduction. Markets reacted unfavorably (shocker) when the news hit The Street aaaaand, suffice it to say, my 401(k) just isn't what it was on Monday. Now, it's no joke when I say that analysts are all over the place with what to make of this... As far as anyone can tell, it seems the Fed has no real idea what to do, and they have concerns that the world economy is teetering and that such a large rate reduction could, potentially, cause it to spin out of control. Great. That should scare us all more than any single day market drop ever could. Now, considering what happened to the Steelers on Sunday night, and what is happening to the economy this week, can anyone still doubt my theory that the financial markets cycle with the fortunes of the Steelers.

Patriots fans should be jumping on our bandwagon... considering their financial future depends on it.

No comments: