29 November 2007

Do we want clean energy or not?!?!

Normally I would try to inject a little humor into a post, but not this one...
This story angers me.

Simply put, this farmer is disabled and only earned a bit over $11,000 last year (as filed on his taxes) and yet there are people in his own community who would rather he be forced to sell his ancestral property instead of allow him to retire on that land with dignity while at the same time contribute a clean, renewable source of energy to approximately 15,000 homes in said community.

It's especially troublesome to me because I'm familiar with Garrett County, MD. It was my childhood destination. Our family's side-by-side cottages on Deep Creek Lake eventually fell victim to rising taxes and upkeep costs and ultimately gave-in to astronomical lake-front property values. The older generation would rail about the negative impact of all the progress and the increased congestion and commercialization while my generation complained that we didn't even have a movie theater to go to on rainy days. We still go back occassionally, but it definitely has a different feel... anyway, back to the story.

The main motivation for the farmer is personal and financial. He's not fighting a personal crusade against global warming... He just desperately needs money. Do you know what a lot of farmers are doing these days when they need money? They're setting up meth labs.

So when this man was approached by a Maryland based energy concern with the possibility of reaping a portion of the revenue from a wind energy farm on his land, the city of Oakland should have thrown the man a parade when he accepted. Instead, what happened was they called a meeting to allow people to express their opinion. More opponents showed up than supporters of the idea. Their main concern: Scenery Pollution. Now, I don't want to get all Al Gore on you, but I feel the following point is important: As someone who has seen, smelled, and (very unfortunately) even tasted the FUEL pollution in Deep Creek Lake, I'm here to tell these naysayers that their priorities are WRONG. They can't even argue me on this point.

I love the mountains of Western Maryland and I can tell you without any hesitation that the sight of more than a dozen mountain top wind turbines from a distance would not be a turn off to me or anyone else with half a brain (or heart for that matter). If anything they would be a statement to all visitors that Garrett County realizes the importance of renewable energy, and you can't tell me that's NOT a hot-button issue these days.

I have little doubt that the turbines will go up as the article in the Baltimore Sun does mention that the local officials believe there is general public support for them. However, it pains me to hear the arguments against it. My only consolation is in the Farmer's steadfastness. He know's what he needs to do and he's going to do it. The people who want to prevent that should be ashamed of themselves.

No comments: